PHP 5.0 Beta 4 released!
PHP 5.0 Beta 4 has been released. This fourth beta of PHP 5 is also scheduled to be the last one (barring unexpected surprises, that did occur with beta 3). This beta incorporates dozens of bug fixes since Beta 3, rewritten exceptions support, improved interfaces support, new experimental SOAP support, as well as lots of other improvements, some of which are documented in the ChangeLog.
Some of the key features of PHP 5 include:
* PHP 5 features the Zend Engine 2.
* XML support has been completely redone in PHP 5, all extensions are now focused around the excellent libxml2 library (http://www.xmlsoft.org/).
* SQLite has been bundled with PHP. For more information on SQLite, please visit their website.
* A new SimpleXML extension for easily accessing and manipulating XML as PHP objects. It can also interface with the DOM extension and vice-versa.
* Streams have been greatly improved, including the ability to access low-level socket operations on streams.